Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Present Indefinite/Simple Present Tense-Definition, Structure, Examples & Usages.

1. Present Indefinite/Simple Present: 
To indicate any task that occurs usually, habit, universal truth and scientific truth etc. present indefinite/simple present tense is used. 


Structure: Subject + Present/Base Form of Verb + Object. 

Note: If Subject 3rd Person Singular Number, s/es must be added with the verb. 

Examples:

(1) Nurses look after patients in the hospitals.

(2) Teachers help the students.

(3) Mother loves her child.

(4) I get up early in the morning.

(5) He takes tea every morning.

(6) Mr. John goes to bed at 11 pm.

(7) They take exercise regularly.

(8) Robert starts for office at 10 every morning. 

(9) The sun rises in the east.

(10) Honey is sweet.

Usages of Present Indefinite/Simple Present Tense:


 To indicate promise, apologize, suggest, advice, insists, agree, refuse etc.  

(1) I promise I won’t be late. (not I’m promising) 

(2) I apologize I won’t be late. (not I’m apologizing) 

(3) I suggest that you will be attentive in studies. 

(4) I advice don’t tell a lie. (not I’m advising) 

(5) He insists that he is innocent. (not He’s insisting) 

(6) I agree we go out for walk. (not I’m agreeing) 

(7) I refuse I can’t sign it. (not I’m refusing)

 In conditional sentence-

(1) If it rains, we shall get wet. 

(2) I shall wait till you finish your lunch. 

 The sentence having 'always, regularly, generally, usually, occasionally, normally, naturally, frequently, every day, daily, often' etc.- 

(1) The international Olympic committee always holds meetings in English. 

(2) Organizations frequently need employees who speak and write a standard form of English 

(3) English usually helps to get a good jobs and better salaries.

● Exclamatory Sentence begins with Here and There indicates present action-

(1) Here comes the train!

No comments:

Post a Comment